Types of spiders in South Africa
- Black House spider
- Daddy Long Legs spider
- Funnel Web spider
- Garden Orb-Weaving spider
- Harvestman spider
- Huntsman spider
- Trap Door spider
- Wolf spider
- Yellow Sac spider
- Button spider
- Violin spider
Diseases transmitted by spiders include: spider bites, arthropod bites and stings, loxoscelism, arachnophobia, latrodectism and spider angioma.
Did you know?
- There are around 40000 different species of spiders.
- Most tarantula species pose no threat to humans.
- The biggest spider species have been known to kill mice, lizards and birds.
- Spiders can produce seven different kinds of silk.
- Spiders’ silk is so strong that it has been compared to steel.
- Baby spiders look like adult spiders.
- A spider’s egg can contain 1500 baby spiders.
- Spiders drink their prey.
- The average lifespan of a spider is 2 to 3 years.