Types of ants in South Africa
- Pharaohs ant
- Common black ant (The former Monomorium pharaonis, and the latter Lasius niger)
Ants carry bacteria and might transfer them into food or an open wound. There were many disease-causing organisms found on some species of ants such as E. coli, Streptococcus, Shigella, Salmonella and Staphylococcus.
Did you know?
- Ants have conquered the globe.
- The world’s largest ant was about 2.4 inches (6 cm) long with a wingspan of almost 6 inches (15 cm).
- Ants can carry more than 3 times the size of their own body weight.
- The oldest ant lives for 30 years.
- There are about 10 quadrillion (10,000,000,000,000,000) ants on the planet.
- Ants capture other ants and make them work for the colony.